And then you SHAKE!
And SHAKE!
And SHAKE some more, until the cream becomes butter. (Believe me, it works! And we only had to shake for like 5-10 min.)
Then you have to separate out the buttermilk.
And then you have to wash it with cold water... to make sure all the buttermilk is off it. (You have to rinse it like 7 times, until the water comes off clear.) And then you mix some salt in it, if you want, and finally...shape into logs, or whatever with cling wrap.
It is actually pretty easy, and then we made wheat pancakes with the buttermilk, and put our fresh made butter on top of them! It isn't something we'll be doing all the time. (It really isn't cost effective. It's less expensive to just buy butter already made vs. the cream.) But it made for a really fun family night, and hopefully the kids gained a better appreciation for how butter is made. I know that I did. And thanks to a dishwasher...the cleanup was pretty easy! If felt a little "pioneer", and really made me grateful for all the modern conveniences that we enjoy! But I totally recomend you try it sometime!
1 comment:
What a fun idea!! I love that you took the time to do that as a family. Sounds like a good way to give them more of an appreciation for hard work. It seems like our kids just get instant gratification so much these days, that an FHE like this would be really purposeful.
Post a Comment